Frustrating Service Industry Tales From Disgruntled Servers

Picture this: It's several months into the global pandemic and the governor has decided to allow indoor dining again. You're considered one of the 'lucky ones' because you got to keep your minimum wage job as a server in a restaurant, and although taking to-go orders only has been pretty chill, the mountain of bills that looms over you everyday has you really missing those tips. Strangely, customers don't feel the need to tip if it's take-out, but they'll call you a hero as if you volunteer to be an 'essential worker' and don't actually have rent to pay. Although you've got a lot of qualms about serving customers again, you feel like you don't really have a choice. You reassure yourself that your customers will be respectful and follow social distancing rules. Maybe they'll even leave a decent tip—you're working in the middle of a health crisis, after all. You don't have the benefit of working safely from home, and any decent person will understand the risk you're taking, right? Oh how naive you are.

Your first customers arrive on the day of reopening and to your dismay, it's a group of ten and they're already drunk, masks hanging down under their noses. They immediately ignore the social distancing policy notices posted on every surface of the restaurant and start pushing tables together. They ignore your pleas to respect your coworkers and other patrons. Your manager doesn't help you. You're pissed off. After hours of rudeness and belligerence, finally the assh*le table asks for the bill. They spend another half hour drunkenly squabbling over the check before demanding that you split it ten ways. You somehow muster up the last bit of civility deep within you and smile through the rage. Finally, they leave. It's the moment you've been dreading. Again, you try and reassure yourself—surely they tipped at least 15%. They ordered bottomless margaritas. They stayed for five hours. Surely they tipped...You pick up the pile of checks and examine the first one. Nothing. Then the next. Nope. Your stomach drops as you get to the last check and read the word 'zero' scrawled onto the tip line. Dejected and exhausted, you look at the clock. Five more hours of your shift to go. The next group walks in.

Whether this scenario feels familiar or not, it's important for everyone to understand just how shitty it is to be a server sometimes, especially during a plague. Not only does treating service industry workers like literal garbage make their lives a living hell, it poisons the soul of the evil-doer. Treat workers with respect and don't forget to tip—it's not that damn hard. Alternatively, if being a jerk is the only thing you know how to do and you truly believe that treating people like dirt is a valid personality trait, you can simply stay at home. The restaurant industry doesn't need mean customers in order to thrive. We've collected some frustrating experiences that servers shared on r/TalesFromYourServer. Hopefully these stories will either humble people who frequently dine out or give solace to those who hate their jobs

1.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/elderlyfemme · 30d 2 3 1 My assh e table accidentally tipped me 130% Medium Reading through this sub, I remembered a lovely moment of karma from a few years back. I was serving on July 4th in a vacation town in California at an upscale German beer and brat place. Everyone was drunk mid-day, we were wildly understaffed, and absolutely slammed. I'm a really fast and sweet server even when I'm busy, but I had 10 tables and I was pretty frazzled. One of my tables was a

2.

Font - When it came time for them to pay, I was pretty relieved for them to leave. The man payed with card, signed the receipt, crumpled the customer copy, and put away his card. We were trying to turn tables as fast as possible because we were so busy, so I picked up his signed receipt and thanked them. Then, they sat there for what felt like forever. I didn't think much of it because I was wildly busy. When I went to clear their table after they left, I was really confused. The original itemiz

3.

Font - In the middle of a hellish shift, I almost started crying with joy. It came out to a $100 "tip" for a $75 bill. A little blessing from the server gods on a hard day. Wishing drunk, accidentally generous customers on you all. 6.7k 225 1 Share

4.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/Glittakitten · 4d 1 1 1 2 2 e 2 3 5 "Your aura is f king ugly and we would like a new server" how did I not lose my job last night? Long Okay hi friends. Long time server but my first post in here! I work at an upscal-ish restaurant. We have two floors and last night I was serving upstairs and because of the obvious restrictions and what not we only have hosts downstairs. When we are on a wait, the hosts will see when there are open tables upstairs, page the guests

5.

Font - Now that you know how that works I'll also just add in here that I am one of the top servers in my restaurant, consistently selling the most every week, and I'm a trainer. So my managers all love and appreciate me and mostly have my back. Okay so the Karen family, is paiged that their table is ready. They walk upstairs and stand by the host stand while I finish at my table and make my way over to them. I said "hey guys how's it going" They just stared at me. Finally the wife goes "do we j

6.

Font - I said our menu is all virtual right now, there is a link on your table l'll be right back! Come back and ask if they have any questions or they'd like to get some drinks started. Again, silence. I just pick someone and say okay can I grab you something to drink sir? We don't have what he asks for, but I suggest something similar and he says okay. The wife asks what beer we have, I said "we have a lot, what do you like to drink" She said "I don't know that's why I'm asking you what beer Y

7.

Font - Her husband turns his attention to me and says "are you having a bad night?" To which I say, "no sir, are you" and he said "no we are just trying to have a nice family night and you're rude. You've been rude the whole time and you threw our silverware at us." I'm stunned so I just say "I definitely did not throw it at you guys I was trying to slide it down the table for all of you, sorry if it came off that way. I'm not having a bad night and I haven't had an attitude." The wife jumps in

8.

Font - it took everything I had, like I mean, everything, not to say anything rude back to her. I just said "I'm happy to grab you a new server, and 'll just grab my manager for you too while l'm at it" My manager goes over, knowing everything from my side already, and they tell him I was rude by seating them and making that comment about how they could not seat themselves, when "there was no host at the stand so we just assumed it was pick your own table" and throwing their silverware, and “my

9.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/CandiedShrimp · 17d 1 2 3 Just got called a biich for having the audacity to ask for payment before making an order Short Currently working at a coffee shop. Guy "forgot" his wallet after waiting in line for 4-5 minutes, then got pissed at me when I told him I couldn't start making his food and drinks until after he paid. He asked me why I was being such a b ch, so I got to tell him to get out and please don't come back. Happy Friday, everybody! 4.3k 194 Share

10.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/lizzayyyy96 · 6d 1 2 S 1 2 1 Customer commented on my ass tonight, before he left I confronted him and he tried to gaslight me. Short When I was bussing tables he was sitting outside smoking a cigarette. He complemented my outfit, my cool leggings and my skirt. Then he said my butt looked good in it too. When he said it, I kind of froze and laughed it off. But before he left the bar I took him aside and I very calmly yet firmly said that his behavior was unacceptab

11.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/Mike_OxonFaier • 13d 1 1 e 2 3 It's not fair Short A Romanian friend of mine has a job in which she sells food on the train. She walks from one end to the other with a trolley, selling hot drinks, sandwiches, chocolate, etc. One day she passes this man, who, upon seeing her, starts ranting about 'bloody foreigners, taking all our jobs...' Without missing a beat, she turns to him, reaches into her pocket, pulls out a business card, and says, "As it happens, sir, we

12.

Font - "oh, err, well,", he stammers, "I'm honestly not really fussed about that sort of job. Err, thank anyway..." "So," she's says, "Why did you complain about foreigners like me?" He couldn't answer her at all, but he was humiliated. Some people are awful. 4.1k 108 1 Share

13.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/throwawayabc123666 · 4d 1 A soup and salad shouldn't cost $72!!! Short Lunch shift today, table is going well until after this guy and his wife (I'm assuming) cash out. He angrily explains that he's never been ANYWHERE that it costs $72 for a soup and salad. I explained to him that he also ordered two cosmos, grilled salmon for his salad, his wife ordered two glasses of wine, a shot of whiskey, and two more food items. "Well l've never been anywhere where it costs

14.

Font - I respond, "Again, you got more than that, but l'd be happy to take that .75 cents off for that extra dressing you asked for." We went back and forth with the same dialogue like two or three more times and i finally just said, ok thanks, have a great day! He calls me back over 5 minutes later and says he's ready to pay so I kindly remind him that he already paid and to have a great day. This is one of the weirder incidents l've had serving and I was so confused. He didn't tip me of course

15.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/CaptColten · 27d Dear guy that went on a rant about how the government is gonna track us with the contact tracing info Short You paid with a debit card. That's it, that's the post. 1 2.6k 123 1 Share

16.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/breeze_eng • 19d O 2 3 1 Getting revenge by pouring a pint of coke on a customer Long The sweet (and sticky) story of the first and only time I ever dropped a drink at work, and how good it felt. (TL;DR at the bottom.)

17.

Font - Just to set the scene of how much of an assh e this regular customer was: 2 weeks before this story takes place this particular customer rocked into the restaurant on a Wednesday night with about 40 people (the restaurant was only about 120 covers, and we rarely filled more than 70 of them mid-week, so only had 2/3 servers on unless we had large bookings), demanding a table for all of them. Being a regular, the host already knew he was a piece of work, but the horror on her face when he r

18.

Font - Back to the story, assh e customer (AC) returns for his bi-weekly meal with his family, and much to my dismay ends up sat in my area. I go over to the table and am greeted with "oh for f ks sake not you again". (The effort it took not to say "I was thinking the same thing" was unreal.) I ignored it and carried on, his wife and daughter being visibly irritated and embarrassed by his behaviour at least made me feel a little better. Orders taken, starters are done, main course is out. I go t

19.

Font - I'm holding back laughter, his wife and daughter are losing their s t laughing, his son only seems concerned that he isn't getting the pint of coke he wanted. I look up to see neighbouring tables (who I can only presume heard him being an asshole) chuckling. And then in the distance across the room, GMs face has contorted into some bizarre display of both amusement and fear. Now comes the expected torrent of abuse from AC. GM literally runs to my defence. AC stands up, picks up his wife a

20.

Font - Every front of house employee in the restaurant thanked me when it became clear in the following weeks that he really wasn't coming back. Surprisingly the cleanup wasn't that bad, his hair/ clothes seemed to have absorbed the majority of the liquid, and it was pretty much just ice on the floor. The neighbouring table said as they were leaving "we'll definitely be coming back, and we hope the entertainment is just as good next time". GM didn't mention it until I handed in my notice, and al

21.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/gelanyy · 9d 1 1 3 1 2 Do you think I want to be here telling you this? Medium Okay this literally just happened to me 2 hours ago and I am seething. I (3OF) work as a FOH manager at a large seafood restaurant. So this party comes in 20 minutes before their reservation time and it's supposed to be a party of 6 and they show up with 7 people. Now, we are being super cautious and very respectful of current statewide COVID guidelines, which include a limit of 6 people

22.

Font - cool. So we find them a couple of tables and they get seated (on time for their 8:00 reservation mind you) and one of the men in the party starts pushing the tables together. At this point I have to go over and explain to the gentleman that we cannot push the tables together, they need to remain at a 6 foot distance. He immediately begins yelling and saying that he is 6 feet away from the person at the other table. He says, "You're wrong. We all live together, we can be near each other. T

23.

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/Jar-JarShotFirst69 · 3d 3 e1 3 2 3 Not in my job description to carry you to bed Medium TW: sexual harassment About 5 or 6 years ago I worked as a server at a small bar/ restaurant at the base of a really popular ski resort. The owner lived in an apartment above the bar and, like clockwork, every night around 7 he would start drinking with the regulars. Without going into too much detail, he would get quite nasty towards myself and the other servers. His wife would

24.

Font - the bartender. (If you're wondering why we didn't quit, it's because the area I lived in was VERY small, about 2,000 people, and there were barely any employment opportunities) Well it got to the point where we had to carry him up to bed or risk being fired. It was typically me and one other girl trying to help him up an old flight of stairs to his dark apartment and he would always try something. Arm over our shoulders trying to grab us, or "tripping" and grabbing our butts. For some stu

25. How to be a good customer

Font - r/TalesFromYourServer u/Artsy_Trashbin · 28d 2 5 O 10 S 2 7 3 yrs later and she remembered how we tipped. Short customer story Back in my high school days me and some friends (ages 16-18) went to a tiny diner out of town. All of us worked in the service industry so we would tip pretty decently. I think the bill came to around $80 and I just put in a $100 in the bill book and we left. After we got in the car and drove a few miles my friend asked if we thought it was enough that she only ti

Submitted by:



from Memebase https://ift.tt/3cZh4Dr

Post a Comment

0 Comments